Saturday, August 28, 2010

Friendship

As summer begins to ebb, I reflect on its events.  One of the joys of this summer was the friends with whom I connected.  Some of them in my home, some in their home and some along the way.  I am blessed with amazing friends filled with depth, love, care and understanding.

Today I spent the majority of the day with a friend of 22 years.  Our connection with each other spans multiple components of our lives - including the challenges of surviving abusive childhoods.  Today we gathered to spend time with a mutual friend who is dying of a terrible disease of the brain stem.  It is so sad to watch her decline.  My friend is much closer to her then I am.  I try to be present for both of them.  Thank G-d for friends - at all times, but especially at times like these.

I hope that my summer of friends will continue into the fall, even if our connections are a combination of in person, on the phone, on Skype or Google phone through Gmail.  Technology allows us to connect easier and continue our friendships.

Your grateful survivor thriver.

1 comment:

Marj aka Thriver said...

It was so great to "see" you at my blog recently, Leah. It's been such a long time since I first discovered your wonderful writing and sharing. Sorry it took me a while to get back over here and leave my comment. The fall is a difficult time of trauma anniversaries and triggers, so I'm a little slow at the moment.

I like your new blog layout and I'm so happy that you are still blogging!