Monday, February 27, 2012

Update on My Wedding Dilemnas

As you might have read in a previous post, I am getting married in June.  I decided from the beginning to include my parents and they have (somewhat surprisingly) been supportive.  I had been worried about what to do with some of the traditional father/daughter moments.  After a lot of thought, discussion with my fiance and sitting with my options, I've decided to let my dad be involved in some of those moments.  For example, we will follow the Jewish custom of both parents walking me down the isle.  However, it is important to me to walk some of the way myself, so they will walk me halfway, they'll continue to the huppah and then I will walk the rest of the way.  The harder decision was what to do about the father/daughter dance.  J (my fiance) and I decided that we would have the parent dances simultaneously - he with his mom and me with my dad.  We are doing it to Sunrise/Sunset and immediately after the song J and I will dance together again while my parents dance together and J's mom/brother dance.  I'm not thrilled about it, but for a variety of reasons it is the right thing to do.  Hopefully my father will care enough about "what people think" to be appropriate during the dance.  I'll definitely keep my dance frame locked (remember that scene from dirty dancing.)  I hope that I don't come to regret this decision, I don't think I will.  Things have been so positive lately that I'm choosing to remain optimistic.

Your sister survivor/thriver,
Leah

2 comments:

Tracie Nall said...

I'm happy to hear that your parents have been supportive as you plan and put everything together. Weddings are stressful when you aren't dealing with family issues - and even more so when you are.

It sounds like you have struck a balance that will work for you as far as walking down the aisle is concerned. That is a great thing!

tory burch said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.