Monday, September 15, 2003

Capturing the Friedmans

This weekend I saw the movie Capturing the Friedmans in my local art theatre. I found this movie intense and provocative. The director or producer seems to have chosen to present various sides of the case without coming to a resolution. This troubles me, for the survivor and activist in me wants the resolution of the movie to scream about the pervasiveness of such sexual abuse in our society - in every part of our society regardless of race, religion, gender, socio-economic status or sexual orientation. However, I understand the personalization effect by letting people decide for themselves what happened. Have any of you seen the movie? What do/did you think?

In terms of the potential of this movie to be triggering, I was not triggered directly. However, I did find myself reaction physically (tension etc) to the movie and was able to take care of myself.

If you are a survivor and considering seeing the movie, I recommend that you see it with a safe person and have someone to talk with about it. Or, see it alone and come talk with me about it - either via blog comment or email. I am quite interested to hear what ya'll think.

Leah

No comments: