Sunday, June 15, 2003

Less Angry Now

Good evening. Just wanted to let you know that I am much less angry now. In fact, writing the blog itself helped me calm down. Writing and knowing that others might read it is so helpful, as it makes things feel more "real." Of course, I know that the abuse happened to me regardless of who I tell and how people respond to the information, but feeling the support of others and seeing the written word helps.

So - my day in a sense added to my stress and healed it at the same time. A good friend of mine (R) is in the hospital here where I live (around the corner from me, actually) and I went to sit with R a couple of times during the day. We didn't talk much, mostly I just sat and tried to be there with him. Then, I went and had dinner with some extended family in town. A mixed bunch, to be sure, but it was a good meal and okay conversation. Some hard things, but that's okay. So - bikkur cholim (the mitzvah, or commandment to visit the sick) and honoring family - both in one day.

Helping others helps me. Maybe it does for you too, even though it is a cliche. Going and vising R in the hospital felt particularly like the right thing to do because another person who is very important to me (B) has been in the hospital in another city, and I haven't been able to go and visit. I call B and wife each day to lend my support and get an update, but it's just not the same. So thank you to R who let me sit with him.

Well, that's all for now.
Thanks for reading.
Leah

No comments: