Sunday, September 28, 2003

L'shanah Tovah! (Happy New Year!)

A happy and sweet new year to you! Yes, it is the New Year, for us Jews anyway the new year began at sunset on Friday, September 26th. The celebration began then and continues through the next 10 days known as the Days of Awe when we are to reflect on our lives and our actions. This is the time of year when we are especially thinking about correcting our wrongs and asking for forgiveness. In Judaism, God grants forgiveness for wrongs against God - for forgiveness from people we have wronged we have to first seek forgiveness from them. Only after doing so does God forgive us.

I personally find this healthy, especially as a survivor. I don't have to forgive my abusers to be a "good Jew" (I really don't like that phrase.). He and my mother need to come to me. I do need to take care of myself - - that is clearly part of what Judaism says about honoring our souls within, but that is me caring for me - not having guilt about needing to forgive them.

So, these are some of the things on my mind today as I post my first blog of the year 5764.

Shanah tovah (happy new year) and May you be sealed in the book of life,
Leah

No comments: