Thursday, July 03, 2003

Music for the soul

I went to a piano competition today and heard two performers - a man from Italy and a woman from Canada. They played pieces by Liszt, Brahms, Beethoven and Rachmonioff. Their beautifuly played selections had a wide range of moods, emotions and energy. I listened letting my mind, heart and spirit wander where the music took me.

Music can be so healing. Music reaches part of my soul that seem to be out of reach in other ways, even though Judaism is so central and important to my daily life. For as much tzuris (pain, suffering for those of you not familiar with Yiddish) as my parents caused me, I am grateful for the years of music lessons, concerts and Judaism that they gave me. In some ways, the situation with my parents would be easier if things were all bad or all good, but life isn't that easy. Complexity. Life.

Well, that's the installment on my life & healing journey for now,
Your sister survivor,
Leah

No comments: