Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Passover - the season of freedom

Hello and Hag Sameach (happy Passover) to those of you celebrating it. If you are not familiar with it, Passover celebrates the redemption of the ancient Israelites from 400+ years of slavery.

In recent years, Passover has come to mean much much more to me. Why? Well, it was about 5 or 6 years ago that I first said the word "incest" outloud and referred to myself. It was so liberating to say it. Z was the first one to hear me say it out loud and Z was supportive and believed me - two very important things.

Now, years later, Passover continues to evolve as a mix of remembering an ancient story, participating in the various aspects of the holiday and celebrating my freedom from secret-keeping and silence, my freedom from shame.

Zeh z'man cheiruteinu, this is our time of freedom.

I hope that whatever holiday you are celebrating or not celebrating, that you are coming to feel the freedoms within you - and the hope and joy they bring.

Your sister thriver, Leah

No comments: