Friday, July 11, 2003

More about why I have this blog

In a comment to yesterday's blog, Chuck asked me about why I have this blog. His question was such a good one, and led me to do some good reflective thinking, that I want to share an extended version of the reasons I gave in the main blog text itslef (see the comments to July 10) for more.

Why I started this blog, part 2 (my first post has part 1)
I started my blog on being an abuse survivor for a number of reasons: 1) Telling/sharing my story helps me to be in touch with the reality of my experience which in turn helps my self esteem (especailly because my family calls me a liar) 2) I seek a community of additional friends who are survivors to learn from their experiences/healing and support them in turn (I do have quite a few friends who are survivors themselves, but one can always use more community and 3) being an activist/educator about the harsh reality of child abuse (1 in 4 girls and 1 in 5 boys is abuse) helps me feel like I can do for others what wans't done for me and 4) Educating about the realities of the existence of abuse in the Jewish community (we like to pretend it doesn't happen to us). Of course, just as many Jews abuse their children or other people's children as other religions/cultures/ethnciities/groups do. I have done some speaking on this very element in the past and hope to again in the future.

No comments: